Fennel Slaw with Poppy Seed Dressing
Fennel is light, crisp and fresh. Thinly sliced it delivers the texture of celery and a light licorice banknote. It’s enhanced by this earthy, honey-sweetened dressing thickened with grated onion rather than rich mayonnaise.
- 3 tbs finely grated onion
- 1/2 tsp dry mustard
- 1/2 tsp sweet Hungarian paprika
- 1 tsp poppy seeds
- 2 tbs honey
- 1/4 cup Sherry vinegar
- 1/2 cup vegetable or other neutral flavored oil, like grape seed
2-3 large bulbs fennel
2-3 tbs chopped fennel fronds
- Begin dressing: Whisk together onion, mustard, paprika, poppy seeds, honey, vinegar and a pinch of salt and pepper. Set aside.
- Prepare fennel: remove the stalks and fronds. Chop some of the fronds and reserve. Quarter bulbs lengthwise and remove the tough core at the bottom. Thinly slice crosswise and toss in a large bowl with the reserved fronds.
- Finish dressing: While whisking, drizzle oil into vinegar mixture. This will form a creamy emulsion.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper. Adjust vinegar and honey to achieve desired balance of sweetness and acidity.
- Toss salad with 3/4 of the dressing to start. Add more to taste. Let rest for thirty minutes before serving.