Savory Salmon Asparagus and Chive Kugel
Rich and filling, this savory dish is a star at brunch and reheats perfectly for dinner – if it lasts that long! Salmon can be smoked either hot or cold. Hot smoked salmon – firm and flaky – stands up to the texture of the pasta.
- 2 tbs butter
- 3 tbs grated Parmesan cheese
- 3/4 lb asparagus
- 2 tbs olive oil, divided
- 1 onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/4 lb hot smoked salmon, flaked*
- 1/4 cup chopped Prosciutto
- 2 tbs chopped chives
- 1/4 lb dry egg fettucini
- 8 eggs
- 1 cup whole milk
- 2/3 cup mascarpone cheese
*If you can’t find hot smoked salmon, use cold. It will still be delicious!
- Heat oven to 375 degrees.
- Butter the inside of a 10” round or 9×9” baking dish. Add grated Parmesan and turn dish to coat, reserving extra cheese.
- Place asparagus in a 12” skillet with 1” water. Place over high heat and cook for 3 minutes. Remove from pan. The asparagus will still be crisp. When cool, chop into thin rounds. Reserve.
- Warm 1 tbs olive oil in a 10” skillet over medium heat. Add onion and cook until softened, about 5 minutes. Add garlic and cook 1 minute longer. Place in a large bowl with the chopped asparagus, salmon, prosciutto and chives. Stir to combine.
- Boil a 4 quart pot of water. Season heavily with salt and add pasta. Cook to al dente and drain. Toss with remaining tbs olive oil and add to asparagus mixture. Stir to combine.
- In a medium bowl, whisk eggs for 30 seconds.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together mascarpone with 1/4 cup milk.
- Add mascarpone to eggs with remaining milk and whisk together. Add egg mixture into bowl with noodle mixture and stir to combine.
- Pour noodle and egg mixture into baking dish and sprinkle with remaining Parmesan. Place on rimmed baking sheet and put into oven to bake until set, 50 minutes to an hour.
- Let rest 10 minutes before serving.