Strawberry and black pepper shrub
Makes 3-4 cups syrup
Nothing is worse then sipping sparkling water while your friends enjoy a cocktail. This syrup does double duty dressing up your water alongside their sparkling wine or vodka cocktail so you’re not left out of the delicious fun.
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup water
- 4 cups strawberries, hulled and halved
- 1/2 tsp black peppercorns
- Vinegar – this is the fun part!*
*From balsamic to white wine and pomegranate, we couldn’t find a vinegar we didn’t like! Experiment and have fun!
- Stir together sugar and water in a 4 quart saucepan, over medium-high heat. Bring to a simmer and stir until sugar is dissolved.
- Add strawberries and black peppercorns to sugar syrup. Stir occasionally as fruit releases liquid and returns to a simmer. Cook for 15 minutes. Cool and strain through a sieve, pressing on solids.
- Mix 4 parts fruit syrup to 1 part vinegar. Store in the refrigerator.
There are so many ways to use this. I like a ratio of 2 tbs to 1/2 cup sparkling water for a light, refreshing drink. Muddle some mint and mix the “shrub” with rum or vodka and a splash of bitters for your new favorite spring cocktail.