Summer Berry and Ricotta Bruschetta
Crisp bread, tart berries, sweet tomatoes and rich ricotta cheese combine into balanced, bright, refreshing perfection. Can’t find gooseberries and currants at your local farm market? Try another blend of tart berries like blackberries, raspberries and blueberries. If your berries are super-sweet just leave out the honey.
- 1 loaf crusty bread
- 6 ounces creamy cheese, like ricotta or chèvre
- 2 tbs olive oil – the good stuff!
- 2 tbs white balsamic vinegar
- 1 tbs honey
- 1 pint cherry tomatoes, halved or quartered
- 1 pint gooseberries, halved
- 1/2 pint currants, stems removed
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh herbs like basil, tarragon, chives and chervil
- Toast bread under the broiler or the grill until well browned, even lightly charred in places.
- Spread bread with about 2 oz cheese and season well with freshly-cracked pepper.
- Whisk together oil with vinegar and honey. Season with salt and pepper.
- In a medium bowl toss together tomatoes, gooseberries, currants and herbs with vinaigrette.
- Top bread with tomato mixture and enjoy!