Georgian Spiced Carrots
Serves 6 – 8
I developed this recipe for a cooking demonstration with Washington, DC’s Bazaar Spices. Khmeli Suneli is a Georgian spice blend with blue fenugreek, coriander and bay leaf offering cool, fresh, ﬂoral ﬂamor. It’s probably not at your local grocery store, but you can easily order it online – from Bazaar Spices!
- 2 large carrots cut in matchsticks, about 4 cups
- 2 tbs olive oil
- 1 onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- Pomegranate vinegar
- 2 tsp Khmeli Suneli
- Place carrots in a steamer set over water in a 4 quart soup pot. Steam over high heat until crisp tender.
- Meanwhile, warm oil over medium heat in a 12” skillet. Add onion and cook until softened, about 5 minutes. Add garlic and cook 1 minute longer.
- Transfer carrots directly from steamer to skillet and increase heat to medium high. Cook, stirring every minute or so, until carrots begin to brown on edges. Onions and garlic will brown.
- Season to taste with a splash of pomegranate vinegar, Khemeli Suneli, salt and pepper.