Georgian Persian Fusion Cauliflower Soup
Serves 6 – 8
I developed this recipe for a cooking demo at Washington, DC’s Bazaar Spices combining Persian and Georgian spices. Dry Adjika is Georgia’s answer to Garam Masala. Warm and fragrant with fennel, red pepper and blue fenugreek. Dried black limes are brined and sun-dried to deliver the tart and bitter flavors of lime without the sugar. Order them online from Bazaar Spices.
- 1 dried black lime
- 1 cup boiling water
- 4 tbs butter, divided
- 1 onion, diced
- 1 large potato, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 head cauliflower, roughly chopped
- 2 tsp dry Adjika
- Break apart lime and place in a heat proof bowl. Cover with 1 cup boiling water and set aside for 20 minutes.
- Melt 2 tbs butter in a 4 quart soup pot set over medium heat. Add onion and cook 2-3 minutes. Add potato and garlic and cook 5 minutes longer, without browning.
- Add cauliflower along with 4 cups of cold water. Cover and cook until cauliflower and potato are very tender, about 20-25 minutes.
- Pureé soup and return to pot.
- Finely chop dried black lime and add to pot along with 1/2 cup soaking liquid and dry Adjika.
- Season to taste with salt, pepper, remaining 2 tbs butter and additional soaking liquid as desired.