Asparagus Quinoa and Feta Salad
Finely sliced asparagus and roughly chopped herbs keep this savory and fresh tasting. With the complete proteins in quinoa, its the perfect take-to-work lunch or make-ahead light spring supper. Cook the quinoa ahead of time and the rest of the salad is done in 10-15 minutes!
- 1 cup quinoa
- 1 lb asparagus, ends snapped off
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1/3 cup Champagne vinegar
- 1 tsp Dijon mustard
- 2/3 cup olive oil – the good stuff!
- 1/4 lb Feta cheese, crumbled
- 6-8 chives
- 4-5 stems parsley
- 3-4 sprigs thyme, tough stems removed
- Cook quinoa: place quinoa in a 2 quart saucepan with 1 1/3 cups water and a pinch of salt. Cover and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low and cook until all the water is absorbed. Remove from heat and let rest, covered, for 10 minutes. Remove from pan, fluff with a fork and allow to cool.
- Lay asparagus in a 12” skillet just covered with cold water. Place over high heat and cook until the water just comes to a simmer and asparagus is still crisp tender. Remove asparagus to an ice bath – half ice and half water – and let cool, about 5 minutes. Drain, pat dry and slice into thin rounds.
- Make vinaigrette: Place garlic on a cutting board, sprinkle with coarse salt and mash into a paste with the flat side of a knife.
- Place garlic paste in medium bowl and whisk together with vinegar and mustard. Drizzle in oil, while whisking, to form a creamy emulsion.
- Chop herbs roughly leaving them in large pieces – about 1/2”.
- Mix together cooked quinoa, asparagus, crumbled feta and fresh herbs.
- Taste salad with vinaigrette, season vinaigrette to taste balancing the flavor of the oil and vinegar and dress the salad.